Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Extempore....

                    Okay, now that you have read my past, you will be eager to know what happened next.

                  So then there I was, in the Open Air Theater of the Lecture Hall Complex at 6 pm in the evening. As usual I was on time, waiting for members to arrive (Gosh I am already using the term 'members' without any interview!!!). There were just a handful of guys there. Finally in due course of time, all the members arrived. Girls had also arrived and were more enthusiastic if you compare the ratio in which they had arrived.

                  All set, we just got a formal introduction of each other with names, branches and hobbies. Wow, the variety of hobbies people can have. There was this guy who had theology as his hobby (not sure what that means!!) and he spoke so softly that Varun Sir had to ask him if he was proud enough of it to speak out loudly.

                 Well, now for the evening, we had an extempore session. Twenty of us were divided into two groups of ten each. All of us were given five minutes to think on the topic. These five minutes seemed like five seconds. With infinite thoughts entering my mind, I had a really tough time sorting them out.

                 Finally it was the time to start. One of the girls started the proceedings and as soon as she started speaking, all my thoughts vanished (No guys, it wasn't all that you're thinking). A little voice spoke from inside 'Will you be able to do it?'. As time passed on, the voice got louder and louder.

               Finally I said STOP! inside my mind and decided it was my turn to go next. Though I have been speaking on stage since the 1st standard, a sudden gush of adrenaline rushed across my brain and I was a bit shaky. But once I started, I myself did'nt know when it ended. It was a bit short, so Sir told me to speak on my first impression of ISM. Finally he asked me if I had a girlfriend. Though I couldnt tell him how complicated it all was, yet it was a no for now.

             Speeches came and went by. Some were boring, some interesting. Some were critical, while a girl talked about how beautiful life was. In the midst of all this, I had a small sort of debate with Varun and Shashank on whether youth should join politics or not.

             Overall it was a great experience after so many years. I was a bit rusty, but thats what happens when you dont do anything for almost 3 years. I realised later that I had to make hand movements as there is no dias here, its an open arena. I just loved it and I am looking forward to the next meetings. 

           The literary season is here and is to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment